Waiting for Instructions
-Kelta Fleck
This Sunday, I got a chance to sit with the choir and listen to a sermon instead of preaching one. As the Prayer and Praise Group that ministers to the Mississauga Long-term Care Facility led this morning's service, Kelta Fleck offered her own personal reflection as the sermon. The text of what she prepared and preached from is included here.
Thank you Kelta for your personal message. -JC
Last week when our group asked John if we could have a Sunday in which to participate in leading worship - Sure - he said Feb. 8 or 15 would work and of those 2 choices only today fit everyone’s schedule. We were surprised to have it come so quickly!. Some were a little reluctant but remembered that Jesus tells us to be ready in season and out to make an account for Him. Testing - testing - it is our prayer that we will pass!
God has been preparing His people since the beginning of time. In the beginning - GOD. In our readings this morning, Isaiah asks us - “Don’t you know. Haven’t you heard? Ours is the creator God - master of all things. He’s everlasting - He doesn’t get weary or faint. His understanding is far beyond that of every person. He’s mighty and complete. Nothing is missing. He hears our complaints. He knows all our situations and He cares and has a solution. He says, “I have a plan for you to prosper you and not to harm you” We must trust and obey.
“Easy for you to say” we’re quick to respond - you don’t know MY situation! Well - probably not and many of you don’t know mine. I feel I should warm you that this message is NOT going to be the product of a theological degree - not even a university degree - just my insights from my personal faith journey.
I was fortunate to have had a father who, through AA - Alcoholics Anonymous, came to know that there is a higher power who saved him from the demon - drink. I believe God had prompted, warned or guided him to buy life insurance, not the usual thing for a young person to do over 50 years ago. My dad died of a heart attack at age 43 leaving my mother a widow at 38 years of age with 10 children - I’m the 7th - it could have been a disaster but Mom met Jesus in her affliction and learned to trust Him to help her do her best in all situations. God never let her down - she used to say He won’t give you more than you can handle - keeps you waiting more than a few times but He was a living presence in our home. I had the privilege of being at her bedside all through the night before she passed away. I was really afraid - my mother was dying of pancreatic cancer - she was on morphine and I’d never seen anyone die before, and I knew it wasn’t far away. Mom got agitated - I was all alone and didn‘t know what to do. I’d been in church for all my 31 years - surely I knew something to pray. I tripped over the 23rd Psalm and after a few times realized that even though I didn’t say it perfectly, God or at least someone was hearing me and came and gave my mother and me some peace. The next day when she breathed her last, someone - Jesus or the angel of death - came for her - she did not go alone. It was a most wonderful experience and the start of my real journey to meet this God who cared for Mom right to the end. When she died at age 60 - just 2 short years after her youngest child got married, I was challenged with all the emotion of becoming an orphan. Anger, fear, rejection - the biggest question ever : WHY? It’s not fair, etc. etc., etc. Anyone who’s been there knows what I mean. But I’d been taught that God is GOOD - all the time. Now it seemed to be my time to believe it or not. After much prayer, I was given the assurance that death isn’t a punishment - it’s a reward - my mother could now rest from her labours and be reunited with God and the man she loved and had lost so soon.
I wanted to get to know the Love behind that experience. After a full year of intensive questioning, searching, attending workshops, Bible Studies, women’s groups, reading books and listening to Christian radio, inspirational tapes - you name it, I tried it. I was sincerely calling out for help to easy my pain - Jesus revealed himself to me. I saw Him in the face of a missionary lady giving talks right here at Clarkson Road church. I knew I was ready to follow Jesus like the hymn says, “I have decided to follow Jesus, No turning back, no turning back”. no matter what. I did realize that there were treasures and blessings in store for all who believe but it was the verse from Romans 8:23 that slowed me down “I could be an heir of God and fellow heir with Christ PROVIDED I was willing to suffer with him in order to be glorified with Him. Again, I was afraid - I don’t like suffering but He promises if God is for us of whom shall I be afraid? I had honestly decided I’d rather live in Christ than feel this emptiness without Him. It had to have been one of the longest gestation periods ever and not what I would call an easy re-birth. God had been preparing me for it for years. I often think of the people who after hearing someone like Billy Graham speak - just get up out of their seats and go forward to be saved and think that is the end of the story. Actually, it‘s just the beginning - I see it like when the egg is planted, fertilized but it will take time before the child of God actually is born (again) in the Spirit. It actually made me think of how many “would be” Christians are still in that embryo stage and never actually go out into the world to speak the gospel. I wrestled with God all night - giving account of why I wasn’t a suitable candidate to be adopted into His family to be loved and forgiven by Him. The more I confessed - the more I was forgiven.
I soon realized that Jesus wasn’t shocked by anything I told Him - He already knew - He’d been there with me. He was so kind and gentle - understanding and sympathetic - He wasn’t angry with me and wasn’t going to punish me - the Bible‘s right - there is NO condemnation in Jesus Christ. That actually made me feel worse remembering all the unsuitable places I had taken Him - even in my thoughts and attitudes. I was so sorry. The story of Mary weeping and washing Jesus’ feet fit me so well. I then understood what it meant “those who have been forgiven much - love much”. When I woke up the next morning - I couldn’t believe the difference! JESUS LOVES ME! I understood what it felt like to have been “washed by the blood of the Lamb”. That was over 30 years ago and I’m ashamed to say that I let that first love fade from time to time but I know He doesn’t and it brings me back to the JOY, I once knew. What’s all this got to do with our Prayer and Praise ministry?
Everything. Going to the nursing home gives me a monthly opportunity to prove my love for Jesus by loving others. The psalmist tells us they are a group of thankful people praising God - The God who made the heavens and the earth - with His great power brought them back from exile in Babylon - He provides for the birds, beasts and all of mankind. Every season is a gift within His control. Even old age - even dying. For some it’s an easy transition - they just wake up dead for others it’s a slow, painful journey but with God we have the assurance that in the scheme of things even that is over quickly - Eternity is a very, very, long time. Where we spend it is the important question to ponder - Regardless of your age or stage in life. There are many young people in these nursing homes for a variety of different reasons. We’re all dying - it‘s what we do with the life we‘ve been given that really counts.
Jesus tells us in Mark’s gospel to preach the gospel of God. Now is the time - the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent. Believe in the gospel. There are a couple of ways to WAIT on God - just sit around and wait and do nothing, or sit around and wait on God through prayer and study to find out what His instructions are before we go forward to wait as in serving God. Prayer, meditation, and singing are wonderful ways to fill time if you are at a stage where active service is past - the Church needs prayer warriors now more than ever!
Jesus was with God from the beginning. He knew the whole story but God chose to send him into our lives to walk with us and teach us all about a loving heavenly father. Even Jesus studied and learned and taught others. He is our example. He’s counting on us to do our part in continuing to spread the Good news of God’s love. By reaching out his hand to Simon’s mother-in-law and healing her of the fever he set a great example for us to reach out to those residents in the Long Term care home. They are so lost and lonely but respond so well to the slightest touch and kind word. John and Joanne and Arda and Siem give such love to the Dutch and German people in the home when they talk and sing to them in their native tongue. It is especially amazing to see their faces light up. Mark also tells us that at the end of the Sabbath - after sunset - the whole town came and brought all their sick and Jesus healed many - not all - even now it’s hard to understand His choices but we know He loved them all and died to forgive them all and reserved a place for them all in heaven. He wouldn’t let the devils speak because they knew who He really was - “The Son of the Most High God“. That wasn’t the sort of herald he wanted. He wants US - the true believers to do the telling - in word and deeds.
When Ron and Peggy get the music going - toes tap and hands move and people come awake. Maybe our clapping helps, too! They are really alive even if only for a few minutes each month. I’m concerned about the future when this generation is old and infirm. The word of God has never been put into their hearts. We’ve been too occupied with our work, our kids, our sports - anything and everything. What will they have to rely on for comfort and joy? Not golf scores or hockey goals.
This is serious and it’s up to us to help spread the word. We’re luck in Mississauga - we don’t have to go into the world - God has brought it right here to our door step. So… what are we waiting for? Actually, with the latest huge unemployment figures this could work in our favour. Lots of people with time on their hands, we could help them use it to learn about God and get ready. He will return.
The next day Jesus goes to a lonely place to pray - to wait for God to renew his strength and give him the instructions for the day ahead. The disciples come and encourage Jesus to go back to town and continue his healing ministry but He says, “NO” I have to keep moving forward to preach the gospel. That’s why I came. He preached and cast out demons.
We have the amazing privilege of seeing Jesus continue his preaching through us. We sing these songs of praise and see pain lifted, we see joy replace sorrow and peace flood over these people. Over the past 7 years there, we’ve seen so many folk renew their faith in Jesus before they pass away. We recite the 23rd Psalm each visit and it is our sincere hope that we will all dwell in the house of the Lord - and all the people say - FOREVER.
There are still some who refuse to believe. How terribly sad it is to hear an old man or woman shout abuse at God. For although we hear it - the Bible says, “against God and God only have you sinned”. Others are wounded but it’s God who is offended and deserves to be honoured instead.
I am encouraged though because the old man this week did at least come out of his room and listened for a bit. Even seeds that fall on rocky ground have a chance to grow and at the end of life - they don’t have to last too long - when he comes face to face with Jesus we all hope he’ll be ready to make the right decision. But how sad because for so long that poor wee man has chosen to reject the most precious gift any of us could possess. An ever present heavenly father who loves us. Has already purchased us from death and assured us of a heavenly home for eternity - IF we believe. Nowhere could I find that I have a right to be happy - I have a responsibility to suffer with Jesus to help His kingdom come just like those first disciples. “Whatsoever state I’m in - therein to be content.” If there is anyone here today or listening to this message on tape at home who hasn’t honestly repented of their sin - denying God - then do it now - this is the day. It doesn’t matter if it’s gossip, lying, cheating, stealing, child or spousal abuse, drugs or booze - whatever - the Root cause is the same. Denying the existence of God. Believing that it doesn’t matter what we do. But it does.
What hope do some folk have when they see that deception plastered on the side of our buses! “There’s probably no god so don’t worry - just live your life as you want”. Wrong! We must all be prepared to have a word in response - indeed There is a GOD and He commands that we have no other gods besides HIM. The Corinthian church was full of sinner just like us - and if anyone says he doesn’t sin he deceives himself and the truth isn’t in him for the Bible says, “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God“. When Paul says we should become all things to all people, I think he’s saying listen and try to find a way to relate to each person you meet so you can share the gospel with them. Once we admit our sins to God and are forgiven, it is easier to admit them to others and help bring them out of their sins - there‘s nothing new under the sun - nothing will shock God. Nothing can separate us from the love of God once we’re in Christ Jesus - NOTHING! The wages of sin is death - an eternal separation from your loving God but our message this morning is to HEAR - there is a FREE gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. The choice is yours - don’t wait to make that decision - decide today whom you will serve.
Being part of a team helps when God calls us so remember you’re part of God’s family here at Clarkson Road church - let’s all be prepared to go where He leads us and be equipped to share the gospel. Wait on the Lord in prayer then go with courage - as He says, “I really am who I am!”
Thank you Kelta for your personal message. -JC
Last week when our group asked John if we could have a Sunday in which to participate in leading worship - Sure - he said Feb. 8 or 15 would work and of those 2 choices only today fit everyone’s schedule. We were surprised to have it come so quickly!. Some were a little reluctant but remembered that Jesus tells us to be ready in season and out to make an account for Him. Testing - testing - it is our prayer that we will pass!
God has been preparing His people since the beginning of time. In the beginning - GOD. In our readings this morning, Isaiah asks us - “Don’t you know. Haven’t you heard? Ours is the creator God - master of all things. He’s everlasting - He doesn’t get weary or faint. His understanding is far beyond that of every person. He’s mighty and complete. Nothing is missing. He hears our complaints. He knows all our situations and He cares and has a solution. He says, “I have a plan for you to prosper you and not to harm you” We must trust and obey.
“Easy for you to say” we’re quick to respond - you don’t know MY situation! Well - probably not and many of you don’t know mine. I feel I should warm you that this message is NOT going to be the product of a theological degree - not even a university degree - just my insights from my personal faith journey.
I was fortunate to have had a father who, through AA - Alcoholics Anonymous, came to know that there is a higher power who saved him from the demon - drink. I believe God had prompted, warned or guided him to buy life insurance, not the usual thing for a young person to do over 50 years ago. My dad died of a heart attack at age 43 leaving my mother a widow at 38 years of age with 10 children - I’m the 7th - it could have been a disaster but Mom met Jesus in her affliction and learned to trust Him to help her do her best in all situations. God never let her down - she used to say He won’t give you more than you can handle - keeps you waiting more than a few times but He was a living presence in our home. I had the privilege of being at her bedside all through the night before she passed away. I was really afraid - my mother was dying of pancreatic cancer - she was on morphine and I’d never seen anyone die before, and I knew it wasn’t far away. Mom got agitated - I was all alone and didn‘t know what to do. I’d been in church for all my 31 years - surely I knew something to pray. I tripped over the 23rd Psalm and after a few times realized that even though I didn’t say it perfectly, God or at least someone was hearing me and came and gave my mother and me some peace. The next day when she breathed her last, someone - Jesus or the angel of death - came for her - she did not go alone. It was a most wonderful experience and the start of my real journey to meet this God who cared for Mom right to the end. When she died at age 60 - just 2 short years after her youngest child got married, I was challenged with all the emotion of becoming an orphan. Anger, fear, rejection - the biggest question ever : WHY? It’s not fair, etc. etc., etc. Anyone who’s been there knows what I mean. But I’d been taught that God is GOOD - all the time. Now it seemed to be my time to believe it or not. After much prayer, I was given the assurance that death isn’t a punishment - it’s a reward - my mother could now rest from her labours and be reunited with God and the man she loved and had lost so soon.
I wanted to get to know the Love behind that experience. After a full year of intensive questioning, searching, attending workshops, Bible Studies, women’s groups, reading books and listening to Christian radio, inspirational tapes - you name it, I tried it. I was sincerely calling out for help to easy my pain - Jesus revealed himself to me. I saw Him in the face of a missionary lady giving talks right here at Clarkson Road church. I knew I was ready to follow Jesus like the hymn says, “I have decided to follow Jesus, No turning back, no turning back”. no matter what. I did realize that there were treasures and blessings in store for all who believe but it was the verse from Romans 8:23 that slowed me down “I could be an heir of God and fellow heir with Christ PROVIDED I was willing to suffer with him in order to be glorified with Him. Again, I was afraid - I don’t like suffering but He promises if God is for us of whom shall I be afraid? I had honestly decided I’d rather live in Christ than feel this emptiness without Him. It had to have been one of the longest gestation periods ever and not what I would call an easy re-birth. God had been preparing me for it for years. I often think of the people who after hearing someone like Billy Graham speak - just get up out of their seats and go forward to be saved and think that is the end of the story. Actually, it‘s just the beginning - I see it like when the egg is planted, fertilized but it will take time before the child of God actually is born (again) in the Spirit. It actually made me think of how many “would be” Christians are still in that embryo stage and never actually go out into the world to speak the gospel. I wrestled with God all night - giving account of why I wasn’t a suitable candidate to be adopted into His family to be loved and forgiven by Him. The more I confessed - the more I was forgiven.
I soon realized that Jesus wasn’t shocked by anything I told Him - He already knew - He’d been there with me. He was so kind and gentle - understanding and sympathetic - He wasn’t angry with me and wasn’t going to punish me - the Bible‘s right - there is NO condemnation in Jesus Christ. That actually made me feel worse remembering all the unsuitable places I had taken Him - even in my thoughts and attitudes. I was so sorry. The story of Mary weeping and washing Jesus’ feet fit me so well. I then understood what it meant “those who have been forgiven much - love much”. When I woke up the next morning - I couldn’t believe the difference! JESUS LOVES ME! I understood what it felt like to have been “washed by the blood of the Lamb”. That was over 30 years ago and I’m ashamed to say that I let that first love fade from time to time but I know He doesn’t and it brings me back to the JOY, I once knew. What’s all this got to do with our Prayer and Praise ministry?
Everything. Going to the nursing home gives me a monthly opportunity to prove my love for Jesus by loving others. The psalmist tells us they are a group of thankful people praising God - The God who made the heavens and the earth - with His great power brought them back from exile in Babylon - He provides for the birds, beasts and all of mankind. Every season is a gift within His control. Even old age - even dying. For some it’s an easy transition - they just wake up dead for others it’s a slow, painful journey but with God we have the assurance that in the scheme of things even that is over quickly - Eternity is a very, very, long time. Where we spend it is the important question to ponder - Regardless of your age or stage in life. There are many young people in these nursing homes for a variety of different reasons. We’re all dying - it‘s what we do with the life we‘ve been given that really counts.
Jesus tells us in Mark’s gospel to preach the gospel of God. Now is the time - the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent. Believe in the gospel. There are a couple of ways to WAIT on God - just sit around and wait and do nothing, or sit around and wait on God through prayer and study to find out what His instructions are before we go forward to wait as in serving God. Prayer, meditation, and singing are wonderful ways to fill time if you are at a stage where active service is past - the Church needs prayer warriors now more than ever!
Jesus was with God from the beginning. He knew the whole story but God chose to send him into our lives to walk with us and teach us all about a loving heavenly father. Even Jesus studied and learned and taught others. He is our example. He’s counting on us to do our part in continuing to spread the Good news of God’s love. By reaching out his hand to Simon’s mother-in-law and healing her of the fever he set a great example for us to reach out to those residents in the Long Term care home. They are so lost and lonely but respond so well to the slightest touch and kind word. John and Joanne and Arda and Siem give such love to the Dutch and German people in the home when they talk and sing to them in their native tongue. It is especially amazing to see their faces light up. Mark also tells us that at the end of the Sabbath - after sunset - the whole town came and brought all their sick and Jesus healed many - not all - even now it’s hard to understand His choices but we know He loved them all and died to forgive them all and reserved a place for them all in heaven. He wouldn’t let the devils speak because they knew who He really was - “The Son of the Most High God“. That wasn’t the sort of herald he wanted. He wants US - the true believers to do the telling - in word and deeds.
When Ron and Peggy get the music going - toes tap and hands move and people come awake. Maybe our clapping helps, too! They are really alive even if only for a few minutes each month. I’m concerned about the future when this generation is old and infirm. The word of God has never been put into their hearts. We’ve been too occupied with our work, our kids, our sports - anything and everything. What will they have to rely on for comfort and joy? Not golf scores or hockey goals.
This is serious and it’s up to us to help spread the word. We’re luck in Mississauga - we don’t have to go into the world - God has brought it right here to our door step. So… what are we waiting for? Actually, with the latest huge unemployment figures this could work in our favour. Lots of people with time on their hands, we could help them use it to learn about God and get ready. He will return.
The next day Jesus goes to a lonely place to pray - to wait for God to renew his strength and give him the instructions for the day ahead. The disciples come and encourage Jesus to go back to town and continue his healing ministry but He says, “NO” I have to keep moving forward to preach the gospel. That’s why I came. He preached and cast out demons.
We have the amazing privilege of seeing Jesus continue his preaching through us. We sing these songs of praise and see pain lifted, we see joy replace sorrow and peace flood over these people. Over the past 7 years there, we’ve seen so many folk renew their faith in Jesus before they pass away. We recite the 23rd Psalm each visit and it is our sincere hope that we will all dwell in the house of the Lord - and all the people say - FOREVER.
There are still some who refuse to believe. How terribly sad it is to hear an old man or woman shout abuse at God. For although we hear it - the Bible says, “against God and God only have you sinned”. Others are wounded but it’s God who is offended and deserves to be honoured instead.
I am encouraged though because the old man this week did at least come out of his room and listened for a bit. Even seeds that fall on rocky ground have a chance to grow and at the end of life - they don’t have to last too long - when he comes face to face with Jesus we all hope he’ll be ready to make the right decision. But how sad because for so long that poor wee man has chosen to reject the most precious gift any of us could possess. An ever present heavenly father who loves us. Has already purchased us from death and assured us of a heavenly home for eternity - IF we believe. Nowhere could I find that I have a right to be happy - I have a responsibility to suffer with Jesus to help His kingdom come just like those first disciples. “Whatsoever state I’m in - therein to be content.” If there is anyone here today or listening to this message on tape at home who hasn’t honestly repented of their sin - denying God - then do it now - this is the day. It doesn’t matter if it’s gossip, lying, cheating, stealing, child or spousal abuse, drugs or booze - whatever - the Root cause is the same. Denying the existence of God. Believing that it doesn’t matter what we do. But it does.
What hope do some folk have when they see that deception plastered on the side of our buses! “There’s probably no god so don’t worry - just live your life as you want”. Wrong! We must all be prepared to have a word in response - indeed There is a GOD and He commands that we have no other gods besides HIM. The Corinthian church was full of sinner just like us - and if anyone says he doesn’t sin he deceives himself and the truth isn’t in him for the Bible says, “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God“. When Paul says we should become all things to all people, I think he’s saying listen and try to find a way to relate to each person you meet so you can share the gospel with them. Once we admit our sins to God and are forgiven, it is easier to admit them to others and help bring them out of their sins - there‘s nothing new under the sun - nothing will shock God. Nothing can separate us from the love of God once we’re in Christ Jesus - NOTHING! The wages of sin is death - an eternal separation from your loving God but our message this morning is to HEAR - there is a FREE gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. The choice is yours - don’t wait to make that decision - decide today whom you will serve.
Being part of a team helps when God calls us so remember you’re part of God’s family here at Clarkson Road church - let’s all be prepared to go where He leads us and be equipped to share the gospel. Wait on the Lord in prayer then go with courage - as He says, “I really am who I am!”
Comments
from Fenwick ON just outside of Niagara Falls.
My husband Jamie and I read the message sermon of Kelta and were very moved and motivated to ACT in the name of Jesus Christ our LORD....
Thank you for giving Kelta the opportunity to share her testimony about our mother and father... all 10 brothers and sisters loved our mom and dad very much and we continue to share that love with our family, our friends and our neighbours... But... there is a great work still to be done....
WE WILL continue to "Go into all the world" and share the love of our Lord and
Saviour.... sincerely: Martha & Jamie Douglas